Submission, Strength, and Structure: Faith Through My Cultural Lens

There was a time in my life when I struggled with the word submission. Not because I hated God. Not because I lacked faith. But because I had seen submission distorted.

I had seen it weaponized. Twisted into silence. Turned into weakness. Used to make women smaller instead of helping families grow stronger. And as a Chinese woman raised between cultures, I carried a very layered understanding of strength, structure, respect, and duty.

In many Asian households, respect is deeply woven into everything. Honor your elders. Protect the family. Carry responsibility quietly. Don’t embarrass the people connected to your name. Strength is often shown through endurance, sacrifice, and restraint. We weren’t always taught to speak every emotion out loud. We were taught stability. We were taught discipline. We were taught to hold weight without collapsing under it.

So when I came into deeper faith, I wrestled with this tension: What does biblical submission actually mean through my cultural lens? Because I’m not passive. I’m not voiceless. And God did not create me without fire. The older I get, the more I realize that Kingdom submission was never about erasing strength. It was about structuring it. That changed everything for me.

God Never Asked Me to Become Less

I think people misunderstand biblical womanhood sometimes. They think submission means shrinking. Disappearing. Never leading. Never speaking. Never carrying wisdom.

But when I read Scripture, I see women God trusted with influence, discernment, leadership, prophecy, business, strategy, nurturing, and courage. I see Esther risking her life to save her people. I see Deborah leading nations with wisdom. I see Ruth carrying loyalty and resilience. I see the Book of Proverbs 31 woman building, planting, managing, creating, and stewarding. None of those women were weak. Their strength simply had structure. And honestly? That resonates deeply with my cultural upbringing. Because structure was never foreign to me.

Discipline wasn’t foreign. Responsibility wasn’t foreign. Sacrifice wasn’t foreign. What I had to learn was the difference between cultural pressure and Kingdom purpose. One demands performance. The other transforms the heart.

The Difference Between Silence and Peace

Growing up, silence was normal. You endure. You move forward. You don’t always explain your pain. You don’t always emotionally unravel in public. Western culture often interprets that as coldness. But many of us were simply raised differently. We loved through provision. Through consistency. Through sacrifice. Through showing up.

And honestly, some of that shaped me beautifully. But some of it also left emotional gaps I had to let God heal. Because peace and silence are not always the same thing. Biblical peace is not emotional suppression. It is trust in God even while feeling deeply. That lesson changed how I communicate as a wife. As a mother. As a woman building legacy.

There were seasons I stayed quiet not because I was peaceful, but because I was afraid conflict would create dishonor. But God began teaching me that truth spoken with wisdom is not rebellion. It’s maturity.

Submission Requires Mutual Surrender

One thing I appreciate about Scripture is that people love quoting “wives submit,” but forget the part where husbands are commanded to love sacrificially. Biblical structure is not domination. It’s mutual surrender under God. A godly man is not called to control. He’s called to protect, serve, lead with humility, and carry responsibility with Christlike character.

And a godly woman is not called to lose herself. She’s called to walk in wisdom, strength, discernment, and trust in God’s order. That balance matters to me deeply. Especially as someone raising a daughter. Because I do not want my daughter thinking femininity equals weakness. And I do not want her thinking strength means hardness.

I want her to know she can be gentle and powerful. Soft and discerning. Nurturing and bold. That is Kingdom femininity to me. That is KNg Dynasty to me.

Faith Refined My Culture. It Didn’t Erase It

One thing God has shown me over the years is this: He did not ask me to abandon my heritage to follow Him. He refined what was broken. He healed what was wounded. He strengthened what carried wisdom.

My culture taught me honor. Faith taught me grace. My culture taught me resilience. Faith taught me surrender. My culture taught me discipline. Faith taught me intimacy with God. And somewhere in the middle of all that…I found balance. That balance is becoming part of the legacy I want to pass down.

Not performative perfection. Not hyper-independence. Not silent suffering. But spiritually grounded strength. The kind rooted in God. The kind that doesn’t panic when life gets heavy. The kind that carries both wisdom and compassion. The kind that understands structure without losing identity.

KNg Dynasty Was Built From This Understanding

KNg Dynasty is not just aesthetics. Not just dragons. Not just heritage visuals.

It is the merging of bloodlines, faith, resilience, discipline, healing, and identity. It is learning how to honor where I came from while allowing God to refine where I’m going. It is understanding that strength does not always scream. Sometimes strength looks like consistency. Prayer. Stewardship. Forgiveness. Stability. Motherhood. Obedience when nobody applauds.

And submission? I no longer see it as weakness. I see it as alignment. Alignment with God. Alignment with purpose. Alignment with structure that produces life instead of chaos. That kind of submission doesn’t diminish me. It sharpens me. And through faith, God showed me that a woman can carry both gentleness and fire at the same time. That’s the woman I’m becoming. And that’s the legacy I want my daughter to inherit.

Comments