When Heaven Speaks in Color: The Biblical Meaning of Colors, the Ancient Colors of China, and the Legacy Between Them

What if color is more than something we see? What if color tells a story? Before I understood branding, I understood that certain colors made me feel something. Red felt powerful. Gold felt royal. White felt clean. Black felt strong. And blue felt like the sky.

But as I grew older, I began to realize that my relationship with color was not simply about what looked beautiful. It was connected to something deeper. It was connected to history, culture, symbolism, faith, and identity.

As a Chinese woman raised in Montréal, I grew up surrounded by colors that carried meaning long before I ever thought about them academically. Red envelopes. Red lanterns. Golden decorations. Imperial yellow. White at times of mourning. Deep black ink flowing across paper. Blue-green landscapes painted onto scrolls.

And then there was my faith. I began reading Scripture and noticing that color appeared throughout the biblical story too. Blue in the tabernacle. Scarlet in sacrifice and redemption. White in purity. Purple in royalty. Gold in the things set apart for God.

Suddenly, two parts of my identity that I had always carried separately began speaking to one another. Chinese heritage. Biblical faith. Not because they meant exactly the same thing. They don't. But because both cultures understood something humanity has understood for thousands of years:

Color can carry a story.

The Colors of Creation

When we look at ancient civilizations, we discover that people did not always see color simply as decoration. Color could communicate status. It could communicate mourning. It could communicate celebration. It could represent authority, nature, ritual, purity, sacrifice, or the divine.

Ancient China developed one of the most structured systems of color symbolism in the ancient world.

The traditional Five Colors, or wǔsè (五色), were:

青 — qīng — blue/blue-green
赤 — chì — red
黄 — huáng — yellow
白 — bái — white
黑 — hēi — black

These were connected to the Five Elements or Phases — 五行 (wǔxíng):

ColorElementDirectionSeason
青 Blue-GreenWoodEastSpring
赤 RedFireSouthSummer
黄 YellowEarthCenterLate Summer
白 WhiteMetalWestAutumn
黑 BlackWaterNorthWinter

This system developed over centuries, with roots reaching back into early Chinese thought and texts, and became particularly developed during the Warring States and Han periods. Color was therefore not merely what something looked like.

It could represent where something belonged within a larger understanding of the universe. The East. The West. The North. The South. The Center. Spring. Summer. Autumn. Winter. Growth. Fire. Earth. Metal. Water. It was a language of order.

And this is where I find myself pausing. Because when I read Scripture, I also see a God who repeatedly uses physical things to communicate spiritual truths. Oil. Water. Fire. Bread. Wine. Stones. Garments. Gold. Blood. Light. And yes color.

Red: Blood, Fire, Life and Celebration

Red is perhaps one of the most powerful colors shared across the stories of Scripture and Chinese culture. But the meanings are not identical.

In ancient Chinese cosmology, red was connected to Fire, the South, and summer. It represented vitality and became strongly associated with auspiciousness, celebration, dignity, and happiness in Chinese culture.

That is why red became so recognizable in Chinese celebrations. Red envelopes. Red lanterns. Red wedding decorations. Red clothing. Red symbols of blessing and good fortune. Growing up Chinese, I didn't need someone to explain to me that red carried weight. I could feel it. Then I encountered red in Scripture. And the story became much heavier. Blood. Sacrifice. Redemption.

Isaiah says:

“Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.” — Isaiah 1:18, KJV

The Bible repeatedly connects blood with life, sacrifice, covenant, and atonement. The color scarlet also appears in the tabernacle and priestly garments, while the scarlet cord associated with Rahab became a sign connected with her protection and deliverance. The same color that can represent celebration in Chinese culture can remind me, through Scripture, of the price of redemption.

And suddenly red tells me something about legacy. Red can remind us that life is precious. That sacrifice costs something. That celebration often comes after struggle. That joy can exist because someone endured something before us.

Gold: Glory, Wealth and What Is Set Apart

Gold has always attracted humanity. We see it and immediately recognize something valuable. Ancient China used gold alongside its broader traditions of wealth, status, imperial authority, and ceremonial magnificence.

But yellow itself was especially significant within the ancient Chinese color system. Yellow represented Earth and the Center. The emperor's relationship to yellow became particularly important in imperial China, and color regulations could distinguish social and political rank. Yellow wasn't simply yellow. It could communicate: The Center. Authority. Order. The imperial realm.

Then I open Scripture. Gold appears everywhere. The Ark of the Covenant. The mercy seat. The vessels of the Tabernacle. The furnishings of the Temple. Gold was not simply expensive decoration. It was used in things associated with worship and what had been set apart for God. Exodus describes gold repeatedly in the construction of the Tabernacle. And Revelation gives us another breathtaking picture: a city whose streets are described as pure gold.

Gold in Scripture makes me think about glory, holiness, value, and something precious. But there is an important difference between biblical gold and worldly wealth. The Bible does not teach us that something is valuable merely because it is expensive. It teaches us that what belongs to God is valuable because of Whom it belongs to. That changes how I see gold.

Gold isn't just luxury. It can become a reminder: What are you setting apart? Your home? Your marriage? Your children? Your gifts? Your legacy? Your calling?

White: Purity, Mourning and the Mystery of Meaning

White is fascinating because its meaning changes dramatically depending on the culture and context. In Scripture, white is frequently associated with purity, cleansing, righteousness, and holiness. Revelation repeatedly uses white garments in connection with God's people. Isaiah gives us the powerful image of sins that are scarlet becoming white as snow. White becomes a picture of transformation. Not perfection earned by human effort. Cleansing. Redemption. Grace.

But in traditional Chinese culture, white has another major historical association. White became strongly connected with mourning and funerary customs. This is one of those moments where heritage reminds us that the same color can carry completely different emotional languages.

The Bible can make me look at white and think: cleansed. Chinese tradition can make me look at white and think: mourning. And perhaps there is a beautiful human connection hiding there. Because mourning and cleansing can both speak of transition. Something has ended. Something has changed. Something is being remembered. Something new is beginning.

Color doesn't always give us one universal answer. Sometimes it gives us a doorway into the story.

Black: Darkness, Water and the Unknown

Black carries complexity too. In traditional Chinese cosmology, black was connected with Water, the North, and winter. It was part of the foundational five colors. This is important because modern Western assumptions can make us think of black only as darkness or evil.

Ancient Chinese color symbolism was much more complex. Black could belong to the cosmic order. It had its place. It represented one of the fundamental phases through which nature was understood.

Scripture also uses darkness symbolically. Darkness can represent judgment, mourning, suffering, or the absence of light. But the biblical story does not end in darkness. It begins with God speaking light into darkness.

“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.” — Genesis 1:3, KJV

That verse changes how I see black. Darkness may be real. But darkness is never greater than God.

Blue: Heaven, Water and the East

Blue is another fascinating bridge. Ancient Chinese qing (青) doesn't map perfectly onto modern English blue. It can encompass blue-green shades and is associated with Wood, the East, and spring. Think about spring. New leaves. Growth. Movement. Beginning again.

In Scripture, blue appears prominently in the instructions for the Tabernacle and priestly garments. Numbers 15:38 also instructs the Israelites to place a blue thread in the tassels of their garments as a reminder of God's commandments.

Blue therefore becomes connected with remembrance and the things of God. And I love that idea. Because sometimes we need something visible to remind us of something invisible. A color. A symbol. A garment. A cross. A family name. A photograph. A story. A tradition. Something we can see that points toward something we must remember.

Purple: Royalty and Authority

Purple carries a particularly recognizable biblical meaning. In the ancient Mediterranean world, purple dye was expensive and associated with wealth and high status. Scripture therefore uses purple in connection with royalty, wealth, and prestige.

Jesus Himself was mockingly dressed in royal colors before His crucifixion. That detail makes purple almost heartbreaking. Human beings dressed Him like a king while refusing to recognize the King standing before them. The irony is profound. They thought they were mocking royalty. They were standing before it.

Purple reminds me that authority can be misunderstood when people only recognize what power looks like from the outside.

But What Happens When These Two Worlds Meet?

This is where the story becomes personal for me. I am Chinese. I am a woman of faith. I carry the history of my family. I carry the faith that has shaped my life. I carry the name Ng - 伍. I carry Knauls.

And I carry the responsibility of teaching my daughter where she comes from while teaching her Whose she is. Those things do not need to compete.

My Chinese heritage tells me: Remember your ancestors. Remember where you came from. Honor the story that carried you here.

My Christian faith tells me: Remember God. Remember His Word. Remember what He has done. Know who you are in Him.

And somewhere between heritage and faith, I have learned that identity is not something we discover by erasing parts of ourselves. It is something we learn to steward.

The Five Colors and the Five Stories

When I look at ancient China's five colors, I see a civilization attempting to understand the order of creation through color. When I look at Scripture, I see God repeatedly using the physical world to reveal spiritual realities. These systems should not be treated as though they are secretly the same theology. They aren't.

The Chinese Five Elements belong to an ancient Chinese cosmological and philosophical tradition. Biblical symbolism belongs to the theological and literary world of Scripture. But they can still be studied together. And when I place them beside one another, I see something beautiful.

Red

China: Fire. South. Summer. Vitality. Celebration. Bible: Blood. Sacrifice. Redemption. Covenant.

Yellow / Gold

China: Earth. Center. Imperial authority. Status. Bible: Gold in sacred spaces. Glory. Preciousness. Things set apart for God.

White

China: Traditionally associated with mourning and funerary customs. Bible: Purity. Cleansing. Righteousness. Holiness.

Black

China: Water. North. Winter. Bible: Darkness, mourning, judgment—and the backdrop against which God's light shines.

Blue / Qing

China: Wood. East. Spring. Growth. Bible: Heavenly associations, remembrance of God's commandments, and Tabernacle imagery.

Purple

China: Not one of the five orthodox colors of the ancient system. Bible: Royalty, wealth, authority, prestige.

And that distinction matters. Because honoring culture does not mean forcing every tradition to say the same thing. We can appreciate the beauty of Chinese symbolism without pretending it is biblical theology. And we can love Scripture without pretending every biblical symbol originated in Chinese culture. Truth does not need us to blur history.

Why This Matters to KNg Dynasty

This is why color is more than branding for me. When I look at the colors of KNg Dynasty, I don't simply see red and gold. I see a story.

Red reminds me of strength, courage, sacrifice, celebration, and the fire required to build something that lasts. Gold reminds me of value, legacy, excellence, and the things worth passing down. And the dragon? The dragon takes me back into Chinese cultural history, where it became one of the most important symbols of imperial authority, power, and auspiciousness.

But KNg Dynasty gives that visual language a new context. Legacy. Not legacy for the sake of ego. Not dynasty for the sake of status. But legacy for the people coming after us. My daughter. The child growing inside me. The family we are building. The stories my grandparents carried. The sacrifices my parents made. The faith that carried me through seasons I didn't understand. The name Knauls. The name 伍. The generations before me. And the generations after me.

A Different Kind of Dynasty

The word dynasty can make people think about emperors. Palaces. Crowns. Power. But I've come to understand dynasty differently. A dynasty isn't simply what you build. It is what remains after you are gone. What did you teach? What did you preserve? What did you heal? What did you create? What did you pass down? What did your children learn because you lived?

That is why Legacy Over Hype means something to me. Because hype disappears. Legacy remains. A trend changes. A foundation remains. A color can fade. But a story can live for generations.

When Heritage Meets Faith

I don't believe God wastes the story of where we come from. He can meet us in our history. He can meet us in our family stories. He can meet us in the languages we speak. He can meet us in the cultures we inherited. He can meet us in the things we are still learning to understand.

And He can teach us how to distinguish between heritage and worship, tradition and truth, symbolism and Scripture. That distinction matters. I can appreciate the ancient Chinese understanding of color without worshiping the Five Elements. I can appreciate the symbolism of red without believing red itself possesses supernatural power. I can honor Chinese traditions while allowing the Bible to shape my theology. And I can teach my children: This is where our family comes from. while also teaching them: This is Who we belong to. Those statements don't have to fight each other.

The Colors We Leave Behind

One day, my daughter may look at a red and gold KNg Dynasty symbol and see something different than I do. Maybe she will see her mother's creativity. Maybe she will see her father's family. Maybe she'll see Chinese heritage. Maybe she'll see faith. Maybe she'll see the dragon. Maybe she'll see strength. Maybe she'll simply see home.

And perhaps that is the real power of color. It becomes a vessel for memory. A red envelope can carry a blessing. A white garment can carry grief. A gold object can carry honor. A blue thread can carry remembrance. A scarlet thread can carry a story of deliverance. A family logo can carry generations. Color becomes more than color. It becomes memory made visible.

Your Dynasty Has a Story

When I think about KNg Dynasty now, I don't just think about a logo. I think about a woman who carries two family names. Knauls. 伍. I think about Chinese grandparents and a Montréal childhood. I think about Cantonese spoken at home. I think about family traditions. I think about faith. I think about motherhood. I think about raising children who know their roots. I think about building something that can outlive me.

And I think about all the colors that have accompanied humanity through history. Red. Gold. White. Black. Blue. Purple. Different cultures. Different meanings. Different histories.

Yet all reminding me of one simple truth: What we see can point us toward something deeper than what we see. And perhaps that is why I love color so much. Because color tells a story.

And my story is still being written. 
KNg Dynasty. 
Legacy Over Hype.
Your Dynasty Awaits.

Comments