There is something about the moon. It can hang over a city you have never seen before and somehow make you think about home. It can shine over oceans, mountains, villages, neighborhoods and crowded streets and somehow, generations of people can look up at that same moon and feel connected.
That is part of the beauty of 中秋节 — Zhōngqiū Jié, the Mid-Autumn Festival. For generations, Chinese families have gathered beneath the full moon to eat, laugh, remember, give thanks and celebrate together.
And for me, Mid-Autumn Festival isn't just something I read about in a history book. I remember it. I remember being a child in Montréal, gathering at my grandparents' house with my family. I remember my uncle having lanterns ready for us. And after dinner, we would head outside. We would walk around the neighborhood together, carrying our lanterns through the streets of Montréal. There was something so simple about it. Children walking with glowing lanterns. Family walking together. The cool evening air. The neighborhood around us. And eventually, we would make our way back to my grandparents' backyard. We would gather together again. And after the lanterns came the mooncakes.
That was our Mid-Autumn Festival. I didn't understand all the history behind it then. I didn't know how old the tradition was. I didn't know the legends of Chang'e or the symbolism of the full moon. I was simply a child enjoying a night with my family. But now, looking back, I realize something: I was living a piece of history.
🌕 Where Did Mid-Autumn Festival Begin?
The answer isn't as simple as giving one date. The traditions surrounding the moon are ancient. Long before the modern Mid-Autumn Festival existed in its familiar form, ancient Chinese communities practiced rituals connected to the moon, agriculture and the autumn harvest.
The eighth lunar month was an important time of the agricultural year. The harvest was coming in, the seasons were changing, and people had reason to give thanks. Over centuries, those practices developed.
During the Tang Dynasty (618–907), moon appreciation became especially popular. Poets wrote about the moon, families gathered beneath its light, and stories about the Moon Palace, Chang'e and the Jade Rabbit became deeply connected with the festival's cultural traditions.
By the Song Dynasty, Mid-Autumn celebrations had become even more established. Eventually, the 15th day of the eighth month became recognized as the Mid-Autumn Festival we know today.
So when someone asks: "When did Mid-Autumn Festival start?" The better answer is: Its roots are ancient, but the festival developed over centuries. And I think that is important. Because Chinese culture has never been about one generation creating something and the story ending there. It is about generations adding to the story.
One generation receives it. Another practices it. Another changes it. Another teaches it to their children. And eventually, something that began centuries ago becomes a childhood memory in a backyard in Montréal.
🌕 The Story of Chang'e
Then there is the legend that has captured the imagination of generations: 嫦娥奔月 — Chang'e flies to the moon. There are different versions of the story, but one of the most famous tells of a legendary archer named Hou Yi.
According to the legend, ten suns once appeared in the sky, scorching the earth and destroying the crops. Hou Yi took his bow and shot down nine of them, leaving one sun to provide light for the world. He became a hero. And beside him was his wife, Chang'e. In one version of the story, Hou Yi was given an elixir of immortality.
But he didn't want to live forever without Chang'e. So he kept it. One day, while Hou Yi was away, someone tried to steal the elixir. Chang'e swallowed it to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. But the medicine caused her to rise into the heavens. Higher and higher she went until she reached the moon.
When Hou Yi returned, Chang'e was gone. He looked toward the moon and realized where she had gone. According to the legend, he prepared offerings of food and fruit beneath the moon in remembrance of his beloved wife.
And people began doing the same. The story was passed down. Generation after generation. And the moon became more than something in the night sky. It became a symbol of love, separation and reunion.
🏮 The Mid-Autumn Festival I Remember
When I think about Chang'e looking down from the moon, I can't help but think about my own childhood. Because my Mid-Autumn Festival wasn't spent in some ancient Chinese village.
It was spent in Montréal. My family had made a life in Canada, but we carried pieces of our heritage with us. We gathered at my grandparents' house. We ate dinner together. Then my uncle would bring out the lanterns. That was the part I remember so clearly. We would take our lanterns and walk around the neighborhood.
As a child, I wasn't thinking about dynasties. I wasn't thinking about ancient harvest rituals. I wasn't thinking about the symbolism of the moon. I was just happy to be outside with my family. Lantern in hand. Walking through the streets. Laughing. Talking. Being together.
Then we would return to my grandparents' backyard. The night wasn't over. We would gather together again and eat mooncakes. And somehow, those mooncakes tasted different when you knew they were part of something bigger.
At the time, I didn't realize that this was more than a family outing. It was cultural inheritance. My grandparents weren't just celebrating a festival. They were helping another generation remember where we came from.
My uncle wasn't just handing children lanterns. He was helping keep a tradition alive. And I didn't know it then, but one day those lanterns would become a memory I would carry with me.
🥮 Then Came the Mooncakes
Of course, you can't talk about Mid-Autumn Festival without talking about 月饼 — yuèbǐng. Mooncakes. That little round pastry has become one of the most recognizable symbols of the festival. Traditionally, mooncakes have been associated with the moon, offerings and family reunion. And their shape matters. Round like the full moon. Round like togetherness. Round like completion.
You cut the mooncake. You share it. Everyone gets a piece. And that is part of the beauty. The mooncake isn't just something you eat.
It is something you share.
🥮 What Do We Eat?
Different regions and families celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival differently. That is one of the things I love about Chinese culture. There isn't one single Chinese experience. There are regional traditions. Family traditions. Generational traditions. Cantonese traditions. And traditions carried across oceans. But some foods commonly associated with Mid-Autumn Festival include:
🥮 Mooncakes
Cantonese-style mooncakes are particularly famous, often filled with lotus seed paste and salted egg yolks. Other varieties include red bean, mixed nuts, black sesame, taro, custard and many modern interpretations.
🍐 Seasonal Fruits
Autumn fruits are often enjoyed or offered during the festival.
🌸 Osmanthus
The fragrance of osmanthus flowers is strongly associated with autumn, and osmanthus-flavored foods and drinks are part of some regional traditions.
🦀 Seasonal Foods
In some parts of China, crab and other seasonal foods are part of the Mid-Autumn table. But for me, the food is only part of the memory. Because what I remember most isn't simply what we ate. It's who I ate it with.
🏮 Why the Lanterns Matter
Lanterns have become one of the most recognizable parts of Mid-Autumn celebrations, especially for children. And now I understand why I loved them so much. There was something magical about carrying a little light through the darkness. But perhaps there is symbolism in that too.
A lantern carries light. A family carries tradition. And both are meant to be passed from one person to another. My uncle gave us lanterns. We carried them through the streets. And eventually, we returned home.
Looking back, it almost feels like a picture of heritage itself. Someone hands you the light. You carry it. And one day, you hand it to someone else.
🌕 The Moon That Connects Us
That is why the moon became such an important symbol of Mid-Autumn Festival. Imagine living hundreds or thousands of years ago. There were no phones. No airplanes. No video calls.
Someone you loved could be hundreds of miles away. But you could still look at the moon. And perhaps they were looking at it too. The same moon. The same night sky. The same light. The full moon became a symbol of reunion and connection especially for families separated by distance.
And perhaps that is why the festival resonates with Chinese families around the world. Because Chinese people have been carrying their traditions across borders for generations. From China to Hong Kong. From Hong Kong to Montréal. From Montréal to other parts of the world. And wherever we go, we bring pieces of home with us.
🐉 Heritage Isn't Just Something We Inherit
This is where Mid-Autumn Festival becomes personal for me. Because now I understand that heritage isn't simply something written in a history book. Heritage is memory. It is the food your grandmother made. The language your family spoke. The stories your parents told. The traditions your uncle kept alive. The lantern you carried as a child. The mooncake you shared after dinner. The backyard where your family gathered.
These moments may seem small when you're living them. But years later, you realize: They were building your identity.
🐉 This Is What Legacy Means to Me
At KNg Dynasty, we talk about Legacy Over Hype. And Mid-Autumn Festival is a perfect example of what that means. Legacy isn't always a mansion. It isn't always money. It isn't always a business. Sometimes legacy looks like a child walking through a Montréal neighborhood carrying a lantern. Sometimes it looks like grandparents opening their home to family. Sometimes it looks like an uncle making sure the children have lanterns. Sometimes it looks like sitting in the backyard after dinner and sharing mooncakes.And sometimes, years later, it looks like that child becoming a parent and telling her own children: "Let me tell you what we used to do." That is how culture survives. That is how stories survive. That is how families survive. Someone remembers. Then someone tells the story. Then someone else carries it forward.
🌕 From Montréal to the Next Generation
I grew up in Montréal, but my heritage didn't stop at the Canadian border. My family carried pieces of Chinese culture with us. And now, as I look at the next generation, I understand the responsibility differently. I don't want my children to simply know that they are Chinese. I want them to know their story. I want them to understand that the traditions they experience didn't begin with them. There were people before them. There were sacrifices before them. There were stories before them. There were family tables before theirs. There were lanterns carried by little children long before they ever held one. And there was a moon shining over all of them.
🌕 When You Look at the Moon...
So this Mid-Autumn Festival, look at the moon a little differently. Don't just see the moon. See the generations. See the families gathered around tables. See the children carrying lanterns. See the grandparents telling stories. See the people separated by oceans who are looking toward the same sky.
And if you are lucky enough to gather with family, don't take the moment for granted. Take the picture. Tell the story. Eat the mooncake. Carry the lantern. Let the children ask questions. Tell them where the tradition came from.
Because one day, they may not remember every word you said. But they may remember the feeling. The lights. The food. The laughter. The people. The backyard. The moon. And perhaps, many years from now, they will tell their own children: "When I was little, this is what our family used to do."
And the story will continue. From generation to generation. From China to Hong Kong. From Hong Kong to Montréal. From Montréal to wherever the next generation calls home. The moon remains. The memories remain. And the legacy continues.
🌕🏮🥮🐉
中秋快乐
Zhōngqiū Kuàilè — Happy Mid-Autumn Festival
KNg Dynasty
Legacy Over Hype.
Your Dynasty Awaits.

Comments
Post a Comment